Sunday, April 10, 2011

Super Christian or Super Fake



My sister recently relayed to me that she previously had not been interested in public display of affection between she and her husband. When I asked why, she told me because he wouldn’t give her the same affection in private and it felt like a big front. She is not the only women I have heard this from. I hear their husband will be loving and helpful towards the kids, hold her hand, kiss and hold her all in the presence of company. Then, at home they retreat to the couch with their eyes glued to the tube where their wives can barely get two words from them, no help with the kids, any decent eye contact let alone an affectionate touch.


Being Authentic

That is how I had been treating my relationship with God. I could make a good stank face in service so everyone could see I was really feeling the Spirit. I could wave my hands, jump, turn around, shout and let the tears stream down. But when I got home to return to life as usual, ask me how many times I actually spent time to praise and thank God throughout the week. I wouldn’t be able to count on even half a hand. Ask me how I treated my husband and daughter. My private display of affection could in no way compare to my public display. And I have had to ask myself how does God really feel about that? After witnessing many others doing this same thing, I realized they weren’t fooling anyone and neither was I, and I surely wasn’t fooling God. My witness was not authentic, none other than an act. And people watching us aren’t buying it. Not that this was intentional and I set out to deceive everyone, I just merely misunderstood what it really meant to be in a relationship with God. It is a learning process. There are many others unaware of their behavior and I would just like to shed some light.


Using the Bible as a Weapon

Some time ago I watched a show where wives swap lives with one another. In one case this wife who came from strong Christian views was put into the home of a family who worshiped nature and everything outside of God while the other wife was put into her home. Well long story short, the Christian wife was appalled by the way the other family was living and made it her business to let everyone know how disgusted she was by continuously throwing fits by ranting and raving and refusing to engage in any of their activities. When she returned home to her own family, she threw the biggest temper tantrum in front of the cameras that it has now been circulating on Youtube under the name of the God Warrior. It was the name she had given herself in means to demonstrate her commitment to God and her stance against the enemy’s work. But what she really showed the world was how hateful and mean she really was resulting in bringing her own daughter to tears who hadn’t done anything wrong. She was so persistent to prove someone else’s way of living was wrong that she was completely overlooking her own. And she actually made the supposedly “evil family” look way better because they were ever so compliant and hospitable and loving towards one another and her. They behaved the way she ought to have.


A Super Front

My sister and I joke about this because we both have behaved in the same manner once upon a time, that we call it being a Super Christian. We thought we were trying to be good examples of children of God so we could promote the Kingdom, but we were actually running people away. We are supposed to have that intensity about living right but with ourselves first. When we are continuously pointing out other peoples mess, it’s only a ploy to remove the spotlights off of our own junk. I found that some of the meanest and hurtful people were sitting right next to me on the pew and even in the pulpit, but it shouldn’t be that way. Saying you’re blessed and highly favored when someone asks how you are doing doesn’t mean anything to those outside of the kingdom. Quoting scriptures at the drop of a dime doesn’t mean you are so holy.


Be Super Real

Super Christians go swinging their Bibles around, thumping people over the head while they stand on the pew with their capes blowing in the wind. Then they turn around and treat people and their loved ones like crap. This is what keeps people from wanting to come to church. They are tired of all the hypocrisy. We are supposed to be the light and showing people something different, yet we just want to show people what we think they need to see. No! We should show them the truth, who we really are. We are imperfect people striving to change for the better. People outside of the church would respect us more if we were honest with them. Tell them when we are wrong in our behavior and the truth about the struggle to be a new man but the grace that saves us. Let us show them humility and compassion, what we were really put here for. Instead of gossiping about how someone is living, why not be proactive by showing them how to live and help them to do better? Why not lend a helping hand to those who are struggling rather than kicking them while they are down? Being a Christian is not about whom can make the best stank face and produce the most tears during service, but who can show the most kindness; who can love the hardest in public and behind doors when no one is watching.


Matt 6:5-8

Romans 2:1

The God Warrior video on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3mDLsyn6ns

6 comments:

  1. Wow....that was a great read!! I thought you were talking about me during the first paragraph... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL.well, since you put your own self on blast, yeah I was amongst others.thanx for the support B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful read! Having just gotten back in church myself with my young son, I can relate to what you're saying. I stayed out of church so long because of the hypocrisy and felt like a hypocrit myself. I'm still a work in progress and growing in God, but I feel so different and happier than I was. I see my child leaning to God now as well and I can't explain the joy that brings me. Thank you for posting your thoughts. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment. I am so glad you found your way back in church. We are not hypocrits when we are honest about where we are in our growth because none of us are perfect. Be encouraged in every season you are in cause we all struggle to press forward. (c:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved every word you spoke, you stomped my toes but of course in a constructive way! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol! Your not the only one. My toes are throbbing. Thank you for support (c:

    ReplyDelete